Monday, August 22, 2016

Plans that you made... and broke.

I had dreams and plans to get my associate and bachelors degree. I made the plan to start college at 17 and be out by the time I was 22. My goal was to start teaching at 22. It was possible. I had a goal, a plan. I broke it.
I broke it.
I BROKE it.
It was not my choice though.
NOT my choice.
Life happened. My grandpa died, my parents got a bit crazier...and soon I was out of my plan. First it was a semester. Then it was permanent. I finished my associates a semester behind. Partially my choice, partially not. I was determined to go to the University of Central Florida. I had it planned out. Applied, got accepted...and flopped.
How did I flop? I was a push over. I quit everything and got a full time job. At one point I was working two jobs. I stopped MY education and stopped paying MY bills to help pay for everyone else's. The college was across the street.
It got to the point where I was sinking. Sinking into a world that was not mine and not caring if I lived or died. It was what it was.
Time passed. I finally broke free.
Broke my grandmas heart and moved. Moved 3,000 miles to Yakima WA. She understood and still loved me, but it broke her heart. Her main reaction was...How will I pay the bills?
Those words haunted me for months.
We talked a lot and I know deep down she was happy I broke free from my parents. I was beginning to live life again. Far away.
Fast forward 5 years. I finally started getting my Bachelor's at Heritage. Somewhere in the process my grandma died and my parents moved to Washington. I had to complete 3 years because of make up credits and wonderful errors.
I finally reached the end to my plan in 2013. I graduated with a 3.93 and pretty gold cords.
My dad would not stand for a picture. Like high school graduation, my parents did not give me flowers. Nor a card. I barely remember a "congrats".
I eventually understood that my validation came from above and I did this for myself. I broke the mold. I rose above what I was raised in and what I came from. My mom got kicked out of 3 adventist academies and had to go to night school for a diploma. My dad was a dropout.
Now, I am happily working on my Master's degree. As far as I know, that is a first on my dad's side.
Challenges arise and the plans made may be broken...
Yet,
you can still rise above.
You CAN shine.
Always remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment